18 Jan One Skillet Brussel Sprouts
Ya know what I am totally into right now? Brussel sprouts.
They’re balls o’ fun, doncha know?
Its the perfect timing too because I am one week away from kicking off a fabulous Shake Yo’ Sugar Habit Challenge with a group of folks at Body Elite Fitness in Brooklyn… where non starchy vegetables are strongly encouraged.
One of my biggest pet peeves as a registered dietitian is when people say they’re choosing whole grains as a means to choose more fiber. If ya’ guys want fiber, then ya’ want non starchy vegetables and legumes…not whole grains. While a serving of whole grain bread or brown rice usually provides a measly 2 grams of fiber; while the same amount of calories from brussel sprouts contains nearly three times the amount of fiber! NON STARCHY VEGGIES FOR DA WIN. Booyah.
- Coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3-4 cups brussel sprouts, quartered
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1.5 Tablespoons Soy Sauce or Gluten Free Tamari/Coconut Aminos
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon peanut butter (or almond butter if paleo/primal)
- Optional: Skirt steak, diced chicken
- Optional: Hot sauce/Indi-pepper sauce
- Over medium heat, begin cooking onion, garlic in coconut oil.
- When onion translucent, add brussel sprouts & all spices except peanut butter.
- Cook brussel sprouts for approximately ten minutes or until brussels are soft when pierced when fork.
- Shut off heat and stir in peanut butter so sprouts are evenly coated.
- Optional: Stir in sliced skirt steak or diced grilled chicken
- Optional: Top with Indi-pepper sauce