13 Feb Healthy Valentine’s Day Breakfast ~Sweetheart Protein Pancakes~
If you and/ or your significant other want to start off ze day of looove with a sweet treat that doesn’t leave you feeling guilty and bloated for a hot night out… ‘zen ‘zis recipe is for you! (Okay, let’s drop the faux French accent)
Breakfast food, let’s be honest, is the best invention ever. BECAUSE there’s nothing worse than leaving the comfort of your warm, toasty, comfy bed (especially in the winter)…unless you know there’s a delicious meal waiting for you.
Here’s the truth, guys. A darling friend of mine mentioned to me that Marcus Aurelius, a former ruler of the Roman empire, used this saying to motivate himself to get outta bed in the morning (remember- this is back in the days before alarm clocks!)
“At dawn, when you have trouble getting out of bed, tell yourself: ‘I have to go to work — as a human being. What do I have to complain of, if I’m going to do what I was born for — the things I was brought into the world to do? Or is this what I was created for? To huddle under the blankets and stay warm?'”
Now, my friend was super motivated by this. Like- he uses this to get out of bed in the AM. However, for me, I’m all like… “Wellllll, I can do great things at 10 am too… or 12pm at that matter- this bed and I are totally good for now. 5am? That’s when I should sleep, not conquer the meaning of life.” (Fancy that, I am totes not a ruler of Rome)…. Responsibilities, workouts, clients, to-do lists…ya know, the important stuff that I LOVE to do…none of it entices me at 5am.
And yet, everyday, you’ll find my tookus at the gym at 5:30am.
And you know what gets me going? The idea of black, hot coffee & a delicious breakfast.
This recipe was inspired by that motivation. While you can make heart shaped pancakes for Valentine’s Day, this recipe can totally be consumed all year long, and while hearts are always encouraged they taste justttt as delish when circle shaped.
Now, I added Natural Factors – Whey Factors Powder Drink Mix Unflavored to my pancakes, but that can totally be omitted to make this just a plain, Jayne (intentionally spelled with a ‘y’) pancake recipe.
Oh, and a little dark chocolate sprinkled on top never hurt no body ;)
- 2 bananas
- 2 eggs
- ½ scoop unflavored protein powder
- ½ tsp vanilla (optional)
- Coconut oil spray
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 dash vanilla stevia drops
- 1 Tbs arrowroot starch (optional)
- 1 Tbs heavy whipping cream (optional)
- Microwave your frozen berries.
- Mash with a fork to break up the fruit (you could also pulse them through a food processor).
- Add vanilla stevia, arrowroot. Mix well and refrigerate.
- Add eggs, bananas and protein powder to a food processor. Blend on high for 20 seconds to form a liquid.
- Spray a small pan with coconut oil. Set to low-medium heat.
- Pour the banana mixture from the blender in heart shapes. I found that using my spatula to make "tips" at the end of the hearts was really helpful in forming the right shape.
- Let cook until bubbles start to appear. Flip with a spatula! Cooking the first side took about 1 minute once the pan was hot.
- The second side of the pancake will cook in 10 seconds.
- Make a heart shaped stack.
- Remove strawberry topping from the fridge. Add heavy cream, if desired.
- Plate pancakes with pink, nutrient rich strawberry topping. Voila! Don't you love me the teensiest bit more now?
*some of the above links are affiliate links and I will derive a small profit from their sale. I only endorse products which align with my belief systems (and my tastebuds!)