11 Jul SMRD’s Summer Lentil Salad
Guys. I moved. Holy guacamole on a piece of sprouted bread. Moving is a BEAST.
Pack your stuff, unpack your stuff, organize your stuff, clean your new apartment, clean your old apartment, set up utilities…the list is endless. So I kind of disappeared. Whoops.
Best thing ever though now– I have a desk! And a shiny new kitchen of which my roomie has kindly given be dominion, so long as I feed her dinner (um, duh) and baked goods (hope she likes coconut flour…hehe).
Speaking of my roomie, ya guys should meet her, cause she’s bound to be a familiar face on my Periscope and Facebook Live videos (yes! I am going to Facebook Live in a few days once my place is totally organized!). This is Jayne. Affectionately called Jayney or Jern or Jerny. We’ve been friends for twelve years and she loves to eat. Basically, we are meant to be.
So now you know Jayne.
Anyway, moving has made healthy eating a tad difficult. There’s been lots of takeout and restaurant provided meals and lots of convenient sources of protein. Basically, eggs, whey protein powder, turkey burgers and Applegate Organic Grassfed hotdogs have been my best friends. And, obvi, lots of lettuce and cherry tomatoes because they require zero work.
When I finally had a clean kitchen and a functioning stove I decided to get a little creative in the kitchen. Here’s another thing you should know about Jayne (I’m not sure she knows this…); she makes me crave lentils. I’m not sure why, except that she went to Peru a million years ago and became obsessed with lentils and I always think of that when I look at her (which is everyday, cause, ya know, we inhabit the same space).
Since last week was heat-wave-central hurr in Brooklyn, I was alllll about da cold food. Thus, this lentil salad came into existence. This salad is crisp and cool, savory & fresh…and totally loaded with fiber, healthy fat & protein. Basically, a perfectly balanced meal. Its kept in the fridge pretty well too (I’m on day three of a batch I made a few days ago)… which I loveee cause I am still in the middle of unpacking which means I’m even more into leftovers than usual.
Hokay. Enough rambling. I’m going to go eat Summer Lentil Salad on my fire escape. Payce out.
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar or white wine
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 large tomato, diced
- ½ red onion, chopped
- Parsley, chopped
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt & pepper
- Cover lentils with water (or homemade bone broth OR Pacific brand broth) and add vinegar or wine. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes. Check frequently, stir and add more liquid as needed.
- When done cooking, pour through colander to remove extra water. Place in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, garlic.
- Add carrots, onions, parsley, tomato to lentils. Mix well.
- Add olive oil mixture. Mix well.
- Salt and pepper, as you desire!
- Refrigerate for an hour before serving
- OPTIONAL- I mayyyy highly recommend a sprinkle of feta cheese on top!!!!!